A Shift in Thinking
We are well into the 21st century where learners are expected to engage in critical thinking in all areas. The following graphic explains the characteristics our students must show in mathematical thinking. We will be developing and strengthening these characteristics during our mathematics study this year.
The California Mathematics Framework gives explanations and examples of the California Mathematics Standards.
VUSD: Overview of Depth of Mastery
Grade 5 students...
Students should master:
- Multiplying multi-digit whole numbers using an algorithm
- Adding, Subtracting and Multiplying fractions without simplification.
- Place Value with whole numbers and decimals to the thousandths place
- Volume of rectangular prisms
- Division of whole numbers by 2-digit divisors
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to the hundredths place
- Dividing unit fractions by whole numbers and Whole numbers by unit fractions
- The coordinate plane and graphing ordered pairs in the first quadrant
- Rounding decimals
- Writing simple expressions and simplifying them with parentheses, brackets, or braces
- Classification of 2 dimensional figures in hierarchy based on properties